Dr. Michael Sclafani Webinar A Success – Injury Prevention and Education
October 24, 2023
In the world of sports, injuries are an unfortunate but all too common occurrence. Athletes, both professional and amateur, often face the risk of injury that can not only disrupt their careers but also have a profound impact on their quality of life. That’s why it’s essential to have experts like Dr. Michael Sclafani in the field of sports medicine and orthopedics, guiding athletes and their families toward injury prevention and recovery. We’re lucky to have him in the DME Academy corner.
Dr. Sclafani, a highly trained and experienced professional, recently conducted a webinar with our community that was a success in addressing injury prevention and education. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at Dr. Sclafani’s impressive background, his contributions to the field of sports medicine, and the valuable insights shared during his webinar.
Dr. Michael Sclafani – A Sports Medicine Luminary
Dr. Michael Sclafani is a standout figure in the world of sports medicine and orthopedics. He is one of only two board-certified Sports Clinical Specialists in the area, a testament to his advanced training and expertise. His journey to becoming a sports medicine authority began with his graduation from the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at the University of Cincinnati. However, it didn’t stop there; he went on to complete a prestigious sports medicine residency at the Cleveland Clinic.
Dr. Sclafani is not just an academic; he is actively engaged in the sports community, working with the Sarasota Paradise and playing a crucial role in helping athletes recover quickly, safely, and stronger. His work is not just local; he’s a published author and peer reviewer for the International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, contributing to the advancement of sports medicine on a global scale. His extensive background also includes serving as a former medical provider for the Denver professional rugby team and being a former professor for the University of St. Augustine Doctor of Physical Therapy program. He is even a test item writer for the Sports Board Exam, showcasing his commitment to upholding the highest standards in the field.
DME Athletes and Families Benefit
DME athletes enjoy a significant benefit of a 20% discount on regular price rates, making his expertise more accessible to those who need it the most. Coaches and family members also enjoy reduced rates, with DME Coaches receiving a 50% discount and DME Family Members a 10% discount. Dr. Sclafani’s passion for making a difference in the lives of athletes and their support systems is great for our family.
Personal Testimony: A Glimpse of Dr. Sclafani’s Impact
One DME parent shared their daughter’s story, emphasizing the personal touch and effective guidance provided by Dr. Sclafani:
“We cannot say enough amazing things about Dr. Michael. He was so great with our daughter. He took the time to explain the extent of her injury and what was causing the lingering discomfort. He showed her three exercises to do before any impact on her ankle, so it stayed loose and allowed her to perform at a high level.”
Webinar Insights: Preventing ACL and MCL Injuries
Dr. Sclafani’s recent webinar focused on the critical topic of preventing ACL and MCL injuries and lower leg/ankle injuries.. These injuries, commonly seen in sports like soccer, can be debilitating and require rehabilitation. Dr. Sclafani shared key insights during the webinar, highlighting the importance of injury risk reduction strategies. Here are a few key takeaways:
- Function of ACL and MCL: The primary function of these ligaments is to resist anterior translation and tibial internal rotation, commonly referred to as “valgus collapse.” It’s crucial to understand the mechanics of these ligaments to implement effective prevention strategies.
- Non-Contact Injuries: A significant majority of ACL and MCL injuries are non-contact. This fact emphasizes the importance of proactive injury prevention measures.
- Prevention Exercises: Dr. Sclafani discussed three exercises that can help in preventing ACL and MCL injuries. These include exercises to enhance hamstring strength, single-leg squats (SL squats), and plyometrics/landing mechanics. These exercises are part of the FIFA 11+ program, which has been proven effective in reducing injury risks.
- Mobility and Neuromuscular Control: Dr. Sclafani highlighted the importance of mobility, joint mobility, and neuromuscular control in injury prevention. Ensuring adequate dorsiflexion and proper positioning can significantly reduce the risk of injury.
- For those that attended, here is the youtube link to the lunge + calf raise exercise he made reference to a few times tonight: https://youtu.be/qP6Q3CqY6mQ
Dr. Michael Sclafani’s recent webinar on injury prevention and education is a testament to his commitment to the field of sports medicine. His extensive knowledge, practical experience, and dedication to athletes and their families make him a valuable asset in the world of sports. With an impressive background, reduced rates for DME athletes and their families, and a proven track record of helping athletes recover and prevent injuries, Dr. Sclafani is truly a leader in the field. His recent webinar provided critical insights into preventing ACL and MCL injuries, demonstrating his commitment to educating and empowering athletes. With experts like Dr. Sclafani leading the way, the future of sports medicine and injury prevention looks bright.